Wednesday, April 16, 2014

First Annual Eggtastic Family Olympics

Tonight, in lieu of the upcoming Easter holiday I put together a Survivor-esque competition.  It was raining, my house is kinda small, but it was so fun.  We had team captains, team names ("Beat the Adults" vs. the "Thumpers").  I think you can figure out who was on each team.  Beat the Adults, my 17 year old nephew "Andre", his sweet girlfriend "buttercup", my 7 year old nephew "Wesley", and 4 year old "Enigo"---WHO KNOWS WHAT MOVIE THESE NAME REFERENCES ARE FROM?

Things are busy for all of us right now, and I dreaded thinking we would miss an egg hunt this Saturday--so I wanted to have out own.  Plus, the past 3 years our boys tend to clam up at egg hunts and it's a big hot mess to get us all their on time.  Soooo First up was the in-home egg hunt, where each color had a particular value.  62 eggs total, and I stuffed about 40 of them, then bought the rest pre-stuffed.  (do not feel guilty if you buy the pre stuffed ones).  The Thumpers won the egg hunt. 

Next was the Egg Relay:
I hid spoons in a different room, player one ran-retrieved the spoon, then the remainder contestants had to balance the spoon and go down the hall and back.  There was a lot of cheating on this one, but the "Beat the Adults" kinda pulled off a win.  Next was an Egg Toss:  using hard boiled eggs 2 players were picked from each team, and had to catch the egg in a towel.  After each successful pass, they took a step back.  The "softball kings" pulled out the win for the Thumpers.  Next was my favorite: the Bunny Scoop
the winners, with their "beads", a missing shirt, and a pouty face
My hubs thinking he's the next karate kid with my scarf
 

I put some marshmallows and cottonballs in a bowl, grabbed a scarf/blindfold and a big spoon.  Each player was blindfolded, spun 3 times, and then kneeled down and tried to scoop out as much as they could without looking.  Each player got 4 scoops.  The rules are: can't use your non-spoon hand, can't feel the spoon or the bowl with your hand.  Then we counted how much you spooned out.   "Beat the Adults" pulled out the win.  So we were tied 2-2, there was a lot of smack-talk, a "bunny meltdown" by my favorite 7 year old, and Littlefoot devoured about 600 marshmallows in 5 minutes.  The last event was one I recently used in a social skills group.  I had cut up some swim noodles and got a long piece of yarn.  This was "beading".  Each team had to string 5 noodle beads, the first to complete won the entire competition.  "Andre", although a young 17 is 6 foot six with a size 19 shoe!!!! He is our gentle giant.  Well, his size was an advantage and he flew through this event with the help of Buttercup and Wesley and Enigo cheering wildly.
Twas a super fun night, and I had most of the supplies just lying around the house, I just went and bought the essential candy/stickers for egg stuffers. We finished the night with some fantastic cupcakes my sis picked up at Cupcakes like it Sweet in Bellingham.  Yummalicious.
What are your favorite family games for all ages? 

No comments:

Post a Comment