Monday, April 14, 2014

Spring is in Full Bloom--Mama needs new gardening tools

Phew this weekend was busy, fun, and sunny!!!  The hubs is coaching my oldest in flag football, Littlefoot is the honorary mascot, and baby girl is (duh the cheerleader).  I have a lot of exciting things going on right now, at work I am starting up a Social skills group for kiddos on the Autism Spectrum meanwhile at home I'm frantically trying to get my garden all planted.  When it comes to gardening, I try really hard- A for effort.  Yet, I try to change it up and continue my 'WAR ON SLUGS".  If you see me with coffee grounds or eggshells, just get out of my way.  Luckily, I have 2 boys that are eager to catch them (and potentially pee on them, we have a fenced yard---I pick my battles). 
Back to the social group, and here goes Sensory Sunday---In my private practice I have a large basket of sensory and fidget toys specifically to help kids who need to be busy during counseling.  In my groups, that's the first ice breaker--is pick a sensory toy that is like you in some way.  I have a variety of things to choose from: sensory balls, silly putty, slinkies, ets.  I now have a new favorite and recommend this for teachers, counselors, parents, etc. It's a fidget toy from Flexiblox.  Kids are going crazy for them.  I've had a few kids tell me they use them at school to learn letters and numbers.  They are small, durable, colorful, affordable, and pretty quiet.  This is a must for anybody working with kids, or needing a toy to pack in your purse to keep your own kiddos happily occupied.
NOW I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU: what is your best gardening tip?  What is your favorite toy/object to fiddle with? 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bring pocket farkel. It's a good game to play with my eldest, and it's a good way to learn to count for my youngest. It requires pen and paper. Another thing I like is zip it or bananagrams, cuz they're dice with letters. All of these are noisy, I like how they're appropriate somehow for both my boys with their six year age gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of that game before, but I know a lot of kids that would love it! Thanks for the info, and yes you should get back into blogging!

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the double post with my old blog page. I should really start working on that again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best gardening tip--grow kale. One more--grow sweet peas. You have to plant the seeds in February but they really are the most beautiful, sweetest-smelling flowers on the planet! They're very colorful too.

    ReplyDelete