Saturday, April 12, 2014

Love you friend

This post is in respect and remembrance of the lives, souls, and community impacted by the Oso mudslide.  We live about 30 minutes from the tragedy and have been hearing the stories of loss, shock, and also have found comfort in the heroes behind the scenes.  I have changed some minor details in the blog to respect and honor those affected--but the hero, oh he's as real as it gets.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things on the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping"--Mister Rogers

We have a large group of friends that are hard-working, salt of the earth kind of guys.  They work hard, provide for their families, and try to do the right thing.  They pulled together to help a rescue mission when a family member was on the missing list.  These men are not fire fighters, not search and rescue. The hero in this story will go by GOOSE (only he knows why).  Goose was assisting in searching for survivors at the slide and came across a victim.  With doubt and fear in his mind he doubted being able to do the task of unearthing the victim.  This was a different person then he had been on the scene to look for--it was unforeseen and devastating.  He quickly realized he was in the presence of the departed's young adult son.  At that point, in a selfless and honorable attempt at offering closure--Goose used his bared hands to excavate the man from the mud and debris.  IT TOOK HIM 3 HOURS.  Goose being the modest, humble man that we adore---did not tell us this story until a week later.  Me, being the therapist at heart, let him know that it must have been difficult/heart wrenching.  His main concern was not about himself though, it was that he couldn't do more, help more.  His big heart was aching for the young man who had lost his father. Our hearts were touched by Goose, I don't think I could have done what he did.

So tonight as I tucked my kiddos into bed, I let them know that their Uncle Goose is a good man, a hero, a helper.  We love you Goose.  We love you for doing what you didn't have to do for no otheaa person you didn't know.  We are better for having you in our lives.  I wish I could offer comfort and relief from what you witnessed that day.  For all the people helping on all levels--THANK YOU, with the deepest appreciation possible. 

Who are your heroes?  What messages are your children receiving about being selfless? How do you try to help in your own special way? 

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow. Thank you for sharing this story, Lindsay. Frankly, my heroes are the people I work with. You & your peers give your absolute best every day. You ask only that the person sitting across from you carry enough hope to plan for something better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn, it's wonderful to work with such great people.

      Delete
  2. Lindsay, just an fyi. I took the verification thing off my blog & immediately began getting more posts.

    ReplyDelete