Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Prepare to judge me.....I am an avid Bigfoot believer.

I promise that this post will eventually tie into family and therapy.  I have been obsessed with the idea that an ape-like, elusive, and incredibly intelligent mammal lives in the very woods that are near to my favorite camping spots.  This fascination of mine tends to lead to an "obsession" after I've been drinking whiskey in a social setting--has potentially helped me gain friends, and also come across as a bit odd.  Regardless, it's a way to talk to people, to laugh, have a healthy debate, and of course share my version of a squatch howl.  We even incorporated ol' Bigfoot into our elopement announcement.

Tacky? Possibility.  Thus, our close friends are always supplying me with Bigfoot memorabilia.  Including: key-chains, a Skookum brewery t-shirt, stickers, etc. When bored, I often look up how to join the local BFRO (Bigfoot Research Organization).  Unfortunately in order to join, I have to do 10 days in the deep woods on an expedition with other Bigfoot seekers.  NO BODY WILL DO THIS WITH ME.  Tiny itty detail I fail to mention to most: I don't tend to like camping past 3 nights, hate the cold, and for whatever reason the word "disembowelment" pops into my mind when I think about bears let alone a Squatchy.  Last week a dear friend gave me a stuffed Bigfoot--my first stuffed animal version.  I brought it home and my middle son had an instant connection.

We will refer to this kiddo as "little foot" in this post.  Little foot is my sweet, bright, cuddly, gentle giant of a 2 year old.  Little foot has a bit more of a struggle then his older brother and little sister in the sense that speech is especially difficult for him.  He has apraxia--in a nutshell this is a disorder where the mind has a hard time getting the body to respond correctly.  He knows what we say, and what he wants to say---but his body JUST WON'T DO IT.  Every week in speech therapy he works extremely hard.  Sometimes he can make new sounds, sometimes it just doesn't happen.  But Little foot has the heart of a lion and keeps at it.  Soooo, I bring my new Bigfoot home and Little foot has an instant attachment.  The next day on our way to see his amazing speech therapist he points to Bigfoot and looks at me questioningly.  "Sure buddy, you can bring him today".  That day in particular Little foot felt braver.  Maybe it was the countless episodes of Finding Bigfoot his mama watches, or the family discussions filled with laughter, I am not sure.  But, Littlefoot for the first time said "foot" proudly to his therapist.

 My love of Bigfoot grew much deeper that day.  The mystical and  arguably non-existent creature gave my Littlefoot a bit more courage this week to continue to open his mouth and continue to find his voice.  I encourage you all this week at your family dinner table: share your version of a bigfoot call. You will smile, and "hear" each other---even if doesn't make a lot of sense--you will feel the love.  Here's to my Littlefoot and his best buddy Bigfoot.
.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay! What an endearing story. That's what Lisa's critter was all about. Love your blog--you write so well & I love your elopement graphic! You're GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Lindz. I love the humor and heart in what you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Jules! Lindsay's heart just shines in these posts, doesn't it?!

      Delete